Copyright Statement. @ Kinghorn Historical Society 2012. Material on this website may not be copied or reproduced without the permission of Kinghorn Historical Society.
The Parish and Royal Burgh of Kinghorn are situated on the south coast of the Kingdom of Fife. Kinghorn is an ancient burgh with a long history and its fortunes have waxed and wained throughout the centuries. Once the prosperous residence of the kings of Scotland and one of the main routes north through the ferry from Edinburgh, Kinghorn went into decline when the royalty moved away and the ferry moved to Burntisland. It experienced a revival in it's fortunes with the industrial revolution when flax spinning, ship building, golf club manufacture and bottle making brought renewed prosperity to the town. The arrival of the railway in 1847 saw Kinghorn take on a new character as a popular holiday destination. Now mainly residential, Kinghorn is a thriving and close knit community.
Kinghorn Historical Society aims to promote and preserve the history of the Royal Burgh of Kinghorn and the wider Kinghorn Parish. During the period September to May monthly meetings are held at 7.30 pm in Kinghorn Community Centre with speakers on a variety of historical subjects. For a list of talks please see the Programme. Meetings are open to the public and everyone is welcome to stay on after the talk to meet others over a coffee or tea and biscuits. Visits are also made to some local venues of interest. The Society produces an interesting booklet of historic walks around Kinghorn. For details see Publications.
Kinghorn Historical Society keeps and maintains a small archive of photographs, postcards and other documents relevant to the history of Kinghorn and Kinghorn people. Donations of ephemera about Kinghorn are always welcome. The Society guarantees that any donations will remain in the possession of the Society and will not become the property of any single individual.